Making paint colors with flowers
We’ve been experimenting with the alternate uses of flowers and how we can recycle our flower waste. One fun experiment was dyeing cloth with flowers, and making paint color with flowers is another fun experiment that we had tried!
INSTRUCTION FOR MAKING PAINT COLORS WITH FLOWERS -
- Collect flowers and separate the petals
- Put them in a non reactive vessel, add water and simmer over a low heat for 2-3 hours
- Turn off the heat and let the colors cool. Cover the vessel to steam the petals
- Strain the pigment into a different bowl to separate the petals
- Flower pigment is sensitive to the acidity of the environment. We can use this to get more colors out of the pigments we made.
Adding an acidic liquid (like lemon juice / vinegar) will make the pigment more red / bright. And adding a basic substance like baking soda will make it more blueish / darker.
Separate your pigment into different containers and experiment by adding different amounts of lemon juice, baking soda, salt, Vinegar and other materials you have around the house to the different samples to get various shades.
*Note - Store your colors in the refrigerator to keep them for longer.